The Masonic Lodge

The Riparian Woman’s Club is honored to have this historic building on the Christmas Home Tour.

The Widow’s Son Lodge #150 (Masonic Lodge) was organized and held its first meeting in 1829 at Haley’s Bridge in Greensville County. In 1840 they held meetings in the Hicksford Courthouse until property was purchased for this grand building you are standing in today. The property known as “Lands old store lot” was acquired from William and Helen Land for $650 and in 1905 built an impressive Classical Revival style building. In 1955 another piece of property was purchased from Sallie Baily for $5.00 for purpose of adding an addition at the back of building. In the front of the lodge is one of Virginia’s Historical Markers.

    

The Lodge is under the jurisdiction of The Grand Lodge of Virginia. The Fraternity encourages its members to practice the faith of their personal acceptance with the single purpose “to make good men better.”

In 1850 Dr. Rob Morris, lawyer, educator and mason started The Order of the Eastern Star which is open to both men and women. Its teachings are based on the bible and is open to all faiths. The Emporia Eastern Star was chartered in 1940.

The first floor is now a shop offering clothing and all kinds of household items, donated by the community. The Eastern Star opened the shop about ten years ago and now have been joined by the Masons. The funds are given to the Greensville and Jarratt Fire Departments and are used as well to fund their scholarship programs. You will find the shop neatly organized for easier shopping. Tour guests may make purchases while on tour.

    

The second floor as well as the third floor may be reached from the stairs or the elevator. This floor offers a very large room where the Masons enjoy dinner on their monthly meeting night and the where the Eastern Star has their fellowship time. This room is available for rent to the public. Throughout the building notice the tall windows and ceilings. Time has taken its toll on this grand building and the location near the railroad is largely responsible. Renovation of the ceiling and walls in some areas are in the planning stage.

The Eastern Star membership has prepared refreshments on Saturday for your enjoyment on this floor.

The third floor is the chapter room where the Eastern Star and the Masons hold their monthly meetings. The two aluminum ceiling medallions that adorn the large meeting room were installed by the late Harry S. Klugel! Those who knew Mr. Klugel will appreciate his work.  (Mr. Klugel owned the beautiful Klugel building on E. Atlantic Street.)  In the center of the meeting room is a King James Bible that is always open during the meetings to the book of Matthew. Much of the Eastern Star devotions and study are centered on Matthew and his teachings.  

The Riparian Woman’s Club of Emporia, VA will once again present the 15th Christmas Home Tour. The tour will be Friday, December 2 from 4:30 pm to 8:00 pm and Saturday, December 3 from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm. The proceeds will go toward the Community Improvement Project, a two year project, to make the community a better place to live, work and raise a family. Tickets are $13 and are available from Riparian members, Emporia-Greensville Chamber of Commerce or Paws, Purrs, and Hers, Nottoway House, Courtland or by calling 434-594-4369.

The tour will also include the homes of David and Rosemarie Bland, Mike and Dawn Veliky located in Emporia, the home of Jamie and Robin Rawles of Southampton County (Drewryville), Timothy and Stephanie Dunlow of Roanoke Rapids, NC and Kurt Whitehead of Jarratt.

KD VIII N7 Glowing